Monday, February 15, 2010

Some of the Latest

I tend to try something new everyday or week. Hopefully I can post them all. I might not always have pictures but I can vouch for the meal as being great if I put it on here. Also I am a picky eater, meaning it has to be worth it to eat it. If it is boring, bland, or not the right flavors I will not make or eat it. When I do make something sometimes I do not have all the ingredients or cannot find them. I will give you the recipe the way I make it with all the corrections or substitutions. Hope you enjoy and try them all out.

Chicken Pasta Soup

2 tsp. to 4 tsp. butter
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
salt and pepper
8 oz. sliced mushrooms(about 3 cups)
3 cans of chicken broth (14 oz. each)
1 1/2 medium pasta shells, not cooked
1 C zucchini, cut in half moons
1 C red bell pepper, diced
1 tsp. Italian seasoning

In a large pot, heat butter. Put in chicken and mushrooms season with salt and pepper. Stir occasionally. When chicken is no longer pink add the rest of the ingredients. Heat to boiling.
Reduced heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is done. Serve immediately.

Calories 190; Fat 4; Fiber 1
Point=4 for 1 (1/3) cups



Another soup

Chicken and Vegetable Tortellini Stew

2 medium carrots, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken, cut into chunks
1 can (19oz.) cannellini beans, drained
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can chicken broth
2 cups water
1 package (9 oz.) cheese filled tortellini, or you can lower the points and use any regular pasta
1 C packed spinach, cut up
2 green onions, sliced (about 2T)
1 tsp. basil

In a slow cooker put in carrots, garlic, chicken, beans. Season with salt and pepper. Pour broth and water on top. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 hours. About 20 minutes before it is done add tortellini, spinach, onions and basil. Increase heating to high and cover for 20 minutes or until pasta is done.

Calories 380; Fat 10; Fiber 7
Points=8 for 1 (1/2) cups



I made this last night and found the recipe and then tweaked it a lot. It turned out great and then I figured out the points myself. It had a kick to it so you can mess with the red pepper flakes to make it how you and your family would like. I don't make dishes with shrimp very often. I feel that it is a treat.

Honey Ginger Shrimp

2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/4 of an onion
2 tsp. ginger
2 (1/2) T honey
2 T soy sauce
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 T flour
salt and pepper
1 C chicken broth
1/2 C milk

Heat in a saucepan the olive oil. Add red pepper flakes, garlic, onion, ginger, honey, and soy sauce. Dredge the shrimp in 1 T flour and set aside. Whisk 2 T flour with the chicken broth and milk in separate bowl. Add shrimp and cook till pink. Then add chicken broth mixture and bring to a bowl and then simmer till sauce thickens.

Serve over rice.

Points=3, if broken up into 5 servings
With 1 cup rice points=7

I also served it with boiled cut up carrots and creamed spinach. I would give that recipe but it was not so great for you, but it tasted wonderful. It's a shame how that happens.

No comments: